We journey back to Nairobi for a second visit. Uganda and Rwanda are ahead of us.

Serious rush around Nairobi whilst we are here. I’m gradually warming to the city. The largest city in east Africa. It has a bad reputation for violent crime but we haven’t seen anything to confirm that. We have tuned into the local radio when we have been stuck in traffic to hear about several car-jackings in central Nairobi over the last few days. It doesn’t get the name Nairobbery for no reason. It’s the first place we have locked the car doors when we are driving around. There are also security firms guarding properties and businesses everywhere. It’s hard not to miss the large plaques outside of houses here that tell you what security firm is guarding that property.

It takes forever to get anything done here. We dare not drive around town at certain times of day as the traffic is so bad. The local taxis, known as mutatus, clog up the roads weaving between the traffic and causing mayhem. They are everywhere and are such an iconic symbol of everyday life in Kenya. They are brightly coloured and have stickers on the windows that say ‘in god we trust’. Maybe they feel like they are protected when they drive so fast everywhere.

We first encountered one when we travelled into Nairobi after Lake Turkana, when we had one driving straight towards us. We luckily swerved away from each other. We haven’t ventured into one yet, but have been warned to keep our hands in our pockets to avoid getting pick-pocketed.

We get no sense of the country adrift. The violence here two years ago is still lingering on. A unity agreeement was signed after the last election between the two main parties. Kibera, one of Africa’s biggest slums is where the violence blew up two years ago when there was tribal violence between the Luo (who come from the Lake Victoria region and are also found in Uganda and southern Sudan. They had a bulk of the political power after independence) and Kikuya (the largest and best-eduacated groups in Kenya. Jomo Kenyatta saw Kenya into self-goverment after independence)

One reason we have come back is to pick up Bun’s camera. The shop we had dropped it off at before we headed off a few weeks ago turned out to be right muppets. They were waiting for a part they had ordered from Japan which wasn’t due to in Nairobi for a week or so. We picked up the camera and headed to Fuji’s main office in Nairobi which we found when scanning around for an alternative. I spoke to the head man there. They were super helpful and we got a call later saying it had been fixed. They matched the quote we had from the previous shop and we pick it up on Thursday morning.

The Landcruiser has been looked at again. This time, the front wheel bearings were loose. We had the mechanic at JJ’s look at it and sort it out. We had also noticed a few days before that the stabilizer bushes and link arm were worn and they needed replacing on one side, so we decided to repalce both sides. The front end is sorted and it feels much better now!

A blast from the past. The day after we arrived we saw a couple of  Welsh guys in a Land Rover Defender towing the South African man we last saw when we crossed into Egypt. Three months down the line we would thought he would be in South Africa by now. He was aiming to to get down there as quickly as possible when we last saw him but he became stranded in Ethiopia for two months with car problems. Now he got into problems coming from the Ethiopian border. His car is mobile again. He still has the rubber snake!

We are experiencing the start of the wet season for proper now. Kenya has two rainy seasons. A short one in November and the one we are having now that lasts from March to May. It has been quite heavy at night that lasts until early in the morning.